Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

2XU Compression Run 2014

I had no idea I was going to be running this race a week ago. Yet, 2nd March 2014 and I find myself waking at 5am to catch the first train to Nicoll Highway.

Having rested last Sunday (instead of going to church) after a couple of days of stomach flu, I was browsing Singapore's running calender and noticed that 2XU's run was available for sign-ups. What compelled me to do so was in fact how the early bird prices for the 10k were still available on the last day of registration.

By my standards, I was not prepared to run this race (a mere 200km in the past 13 weeks). Yet by God's grace, favourable conditions and my sheer willpower(alongside some tactful gestures), I completed the 10k, my first 10k race, surpassing my expectations. Watch-timed, I took 43:30(NETT). 

That very morning, Jiajun and I caught the first Dhoby Ghaut-bond Circle line train to Nicoll Highway MRT. We arrived around 6.30am and swiftly made our way towards the start point, though the organisers only let runners onto the course at 6.45.

This was by far the race the most intense race I had ever signed up for, due to it being the shortest distance ever. Having read about the importance of a warm-up, I started doing little exercises despite the close proximity of runners all around. We waited at about 30m out, eventually crossing the start line within 30seconds of the flag off.

I suspect my first k was run in 4:45, having reached the u-turn at 4:30. I hit the first water point(around 2k mark?) at 9:00. Up till 6k, I did not see any distance markers(though I suspect I missed one at 4k). My only reference was a stranger aiming for 44(I was aiming for 45) and we both paced together from the second to the sixth k before he moved forward.

It was a struggle from the sixth k onwards. I had not run this distance(or longer) since RAC 2013, a good 7+ months ago and both my legs and lungs were struggling. It was certainly tempting to ease the pace but I did not want to give up on a sub-45, despite being extremely ill-prepared for this race. Hanging on, I encouraged fellow runners as I passed them. I suspect my form was horrendous at this point, though my speed did not falter.

The distance markers inched toward me. Past the 8k mark, a fellow Caucasian I encouraged told me he'd hang on with me. Cum the 9k marker, a glance showed 39:30.

We dodged the 21k runners.
"Try for a 44?", I suggested.
"How much further".
"A few hundred."

And we picked up the pace. Easing around the bend, we saw the finish in perhaps 400m? My watch showed 42. "Let's get a 44". We flew.

I crossed in 43:30 on my watch, with my fellow stranger a second ahead. I had beaten my clock. (I later found out, based on others' GPS data, that the race was about 9.7+km. Thankfully it still converts to a sub-45 10km!)

This 10k, my maiden 10k race, revealed itself to be a distance requiring composure and long suffering. Certainly not as leg and glycaemia-intensive as the marathons back in 2012, it was a matter of enduring the screaming lungs and shutting out the nagging thoughts to slow down, especially after the halfway mark. One thing's for certain though - there will be more to come.

If the distance/split timing is correct, it means the last 1.9km was probably
covered in 7:26, pretty fast for my standard!

I believe this is around the 8k mark, after we joined
the half and full marathoners. Credit to Finisherpix

Post-race photo with Jiajun and Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment