Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Saturday, March 19, 2016

Ulu Pandan Vertical Run 2016

Having been informed that it would be recurring this year, I didn't hesitate about signing up. As much as I felt improvements could have been made during last year's inaugural edition, I wanted to support this (and perhaps reclaim a podium finish).

This time, the Men's Open was to be the last group to be flagged-off. As usual, there were some delays. I had queued towards the front, just ahead of Kai Peng and Yaner. We were all keen from avoiding congestion as last year, we were assigned in numerical order (imaging running through a huge crowd along a narrow stairwell). Thankfully, this time round, the sequence of starts were based on a first-come, first-serve basis. During the wait, I had the chance to chat with both of them, thus easing the pre-race jitters. They were undoubtedly very strong competitors, if anything I hazarded a guess that with less congestion this year, Yaner could emerge 1st.

It wasn't too long (just before 10.50am) that we were flagged off at 10 second intervals. I probably started a bit quickly and haughtily. As much as this was a short race, rhythm was vital and I had some poorly placed steps which possibly contributed to sacrifice of some seconds. It wasn't long till I hit the 20th storey (we started from the 3rd storey) and I stole a glance at my watch reading about 1:25. That was good but I could feel the fatigue setting in quickly.

The next 20 storeys were fast but could certainly have benefited from more concentration and deliberate footsteps. I passed the two runners who had started ahead of me and the race then went quiet. No one was ahead, I couldn't hear anyone behind either - it was just me and the clock. I stumbled intermittently, perhaps a consequence of the draining volume of physical activity I had undergone in the preceding week.

To end the agony. Credit to Ulu Pandan CSC.

The last few flights were agonising but at last, I emerged at the top and stopped my watch around 3:18. Within seconds, both Kai Peng and Yaner emerged strongly as well. We were all gasping. Yaner probably looked the most comfortable. Gradually, more and more participants started emerging, all struggling to catch their breath. I even noticed a Kenyan (legit!) who suspected he finished just after 4 mins and admitted stair racing was awfully intense.

Thereafter, I headed back down for a chat with some other participants. Met Conan who told me he was participating in Carnival Run held later that evening as well. I had initially planned to participate in the "Run for Rice" initiative, whereby 5kg bags of rice carried to the 20th floor would be donated to needy families in Ulu Pandan. Yaner, Kai Peng and I headed over the first time, only to find out all packets of rice were being used at the moment. The next time we returned, they apologised and informed us that activity had just concluded.

This time, with the friendly conversations with other participants, time flew quickly. Preliminary results were also released, placing Yaner 1st, Kai Peng 3rd while I was in 2nd. It wasn't long before prize presentation (which was much less of a wait compared to last year's edition). Quite interestingly, Yaner had went for his "cool-down" climb while Kai Peng and I were lingering some distance away from the prize presentation area. 

When we finally heard our names being called (after what must have been quite a few times) we rushed back to proceed with the prize presentation. It probably isn't too common that podium finishers don't show up (I couldn't be bothered during last year's NVM 2016 - though in that case I wasn't expecting it at all). Yet Yaner was still probably somewhere high up climbing. The organisers agreed we'd take a proper photo once he returned.

Missing. Credit to Ulu Pandan CSC.

After some time, Yaner returned to claim his prize. Unlike last year where climbing and winning felt so surreal, this year the event was light-hearted, barely pressurising and filled with friendly conversations. I was really glad to have the chance to properly talk to Yaner and Kai Peng. I also got to know Philip, who placed 3rd in last year's edition.

Lost and Found. Credit to Ulu Pandan CSC.

Happy trio. Credit to Ulu Pandan CSC.

Many congrats to Yaner for his victory today. I heard that this was his first time placing 1st in a stair racing event and he definitely deserved it! Great climb by Kai Peng as well, having now ascended to the podium after placing 4th last year. Finally, a shout of appreciation to Ulu Pandan CSC for continuing to organise this event. It was also a great initiative to provide a Finisher's Medal to every participant :)

Men's Open 2nd! Not the fastest but feeling like a champion in other ways :)

Finalised Results. Credit to Ulu Pandan CSC.

No comments:

Post a Comment