Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Monday, February 20, 2017

Run For Hope 2017

Service.

I dwelt on the word, even as I rushed over for group training and as I got up early (earlier than my other races) on race day.

This race was about performance. I needed to perform according to my expectations. Today, it was to pace other runners to a 60min 10km race.

I first chanced upon the opportunity to become a pacer for Run for Hope 2017 on Facebook by Coffee Tea Runners. They're a group that conducts regular casual group runs in addition to providing pacing support to a variety of local events. One aspect which enticed me was that apart from the time trial, there were only 2 training sessions prior to the event day. This meant significantly less time commitment (which admittedly, is a challenge) as opposed to becoming a pacer for other events. In addition to that, Run for Hope champions cancer awareness and research.

Pacer selection was determined through a 10km time trial, whereby we were flagged off minute by minute and made to run the (approximately?) 10km route with as little km to km variation in our splits.


Upon selection, we engaged in two group training sessions. The bunch of pacers came from diverse walks of life. Some were retirees, while others were freshly starting out in the workforce. As a student, I was the youngest. Nonetheless, despite varying backgrounds, all of us there were like-minded in seeking to perform well, for the benefit of others. Service.

Our first group training.

Colourful. Our second training.

Looking back over the couple of years since I've started running, I recognise how it's given me a keen sense of purpose, in addition to helping me organise my life and priorities. I knew that this was a great chance to give back to the sport and the community.

We paced fellow runners to a finish of just below an hour. Service; with humility.

En route. Credit to Running Shots.


No comments:

Post a Comment