Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Performance Series 2016 (Race 1: Coney Island)

Just the day before, I wasn't sure if I could complete this distance. On Thursday evening, my right IT Band had flared up without warning. Having been accustomed to the dangers of that injury, yet knowing how I had migratory/progressive/intermittent knee pains over the past 4 weeks, I knew anything could happen, and I sure hoped it went well and well throughout. 

Amidst my apprehension, I was willing to try, just as how I knew miracles could occur (Daniel 4, that I happened to read just before my race, or in fact, my personal experience here). And however my race would turn out, I intended for it to glorify God.

I was torn on race day itself, between whether I should run a fast race (and risk blowing up) or take a stroll. I was even considering not running at all - but this race was sponsored and put together by a great team from JustRunLah!, hence I wanted to honour the opportunity they had given me and their hard efforts over the preceding months.

Here's the founder of The Performance Series. Read more here.

Having arrived at the start point just before 7am, I was able to access hassle-free baggage deposit and adequate restrooms (both portable and permanent). Thereafter, I headed down to the start pen which was already pretty filled at the front. Inching my way forward, I managed to get to within 5m of the start. That doesn't sound like much, but it's dependent on who's in front. If there are multiple slower runners - the path may be obstructed for the first 100m, requiring fartlek-style weaving if the route was narrow.

Right at 7.30am, the race was flagged off. I started off slowly - intending to run a good timing but not excessively uncomfortably either. I did feel a little more lethargic than usual - mentally from the fear that my injury would suddenly flare, physically because of the reduced training I had undertaken in the preceding weeks.

A huge pack had started off quickly, but I didn't care as they weren't my goal. There was indeed some weaving to be done as I passed runners, though this subsided after about 100m. I passed Yee Chieng, wondering if I could get some sub-40 company, though he mentioned that he was taking it easy today due to injury. I proceeded onwards comfortably and the first km was passed in about 3:55, with the distance marker emerging right after.

Indeed, around the 30th position right now, early in the race.

The initial portions of the route were undulating - definitely far from hills per se but still not the easiest to find rhythm along. I was way off from the lead pack - easily position 25-30 (in retrospect) and had trouble finding anyone trudging along at my pace as I gradually caught up with others. As I was running up a bridge I saw Jenny Huang, one of the race ambassador's. As I ran down, I saw Melvin Wong (SEA Games 2017 - 10km in 32:59) in the near distance, moving along gently with a small group of runners - I suspected he was pacing them close to a 40min 10km. I remained in that small pack (the first pack I found) for about 200m before realising they either were slowing or I felt too comfortable, hence I moved ahead.

In the distance I saw Jasmine. I shouted a greeting before moving ahead as well. It seemed like a game of catch-up. The route was pleasant and the weather was likewise. I felt fine - comfortable but not finding it effortless. It wasn't long before I entered Coney Island for the first time.

Thankfully, the trail was pretty dry and runnable (not too slippery/slidey). Nonetheless, I'd have preferred tarmac any time if I wanted to run a quick time. I found that I was still clicking off pretty acceptable kms in the 3:52-53 range. I did however, know that my breathing was getting a bit more laboured but certainly not in distress. My FR15 beeped and I noticed I passed the 5th km in just under 19:30, seeming to be right on pace if I wanted to run a sub-39 (that became a realistic target at that point of time). Coney Island was a point of significant overtaking as I passed easily 5-7 individuals while running at my steady pace. Of note were 2 ladies - Mok Ying Rong and a Caucasian - the eventual champions in the Female Closed/Open categories respectively.

Leaving Coney Island brought me to a short portion of tarmac, before returning to soft ground near the Lorong Halus Wetland. A volunteer shouted "8th" - which came as a pleasant surprise as I didn't think I was doing that well (though of which category he was referring to, I wasn't aware). I was catching up with Lexus and without around turning to identify me, he beckoned me past as my shadow gradually drew level with his. I accepted his offer, despite my mind starting to encourage me to take it easy - for my injury, that's what it said.

Admittedly, I did take it more easily. Somehow, I had found a reason to believe that a sub-39 wasn't possible (though in retrospect I realise from my Strava splits that it was). As I slowed, I found myself catching up to a Gurkha - the fourth runner of the Champion Team. Eventually, I passed him just before the 9km mark and I tried to speed up a little.

I was somewhat successful in doing so. I was however, aware of the growing discomfort and subsequent mild pain in the lateral aspect of my right knee. I knew I could complete the race, but the awareness of the injury meant that I was convincing myself not to push too hard. In the distance, I saw some blue banners which I thought was the Finish and thus I sped up, only to realise that they were just Lucozade banners while the Finish was still not in sight! By then, my FR mentioned that I had already covered more than 10km.

Where's my finish line. Credit to Run Shoot Repeat.

Thankfully, the Finish quickly approached. I knew I had comfortably ran a sub-40 and there wasn't anyone around me, hence I lacked some motivation to finish spectacularly. Nonetheless, the sight of the Finish was energising and I proceeded to stride comfortably past.

Thereafter, I was handed a "Potential Winner" tag - that was a first (receiving a tag). I presumed that it was given out to all the top-10 finishers who would subsequently be receiving a prize. More surprisingly, they actually requested that I write down my details and to my pleasant surprise - in the 2nd position row for the Closed Men's category. As I was doing so, they apologised and told me to write in the 3rd position row instead. Either way, I was pretty elated and simply shocked. I had the impression I was in 8th place (after the volunteer's exclamation) and since then had only overtaken 2 individuals.

Then I felt the growing pain. It was a dull ache, but I knew it would probably grow.


I grabbed some words and photos with the friendly Gurkhas (Team Champs), Lexus, Ying Rong and whoever else I knew (of course I had to grab a photo with the race founder, Zhiyong). In addition, I grabbed a few bottles of refreshing Lucozade and thereafter, stretched and waited... During the wait, Lexus informed me that I had actually come in 2nd for the Closed Men's category as the 2nd Singaporean had signed up under the Open category. If not for my growing injury, everything seemed brilliant thus far - this was divine favour.

The friendly bunch.


The prize presentation was awfully long, with a total of 50 prizes to be given out. That was a brilliant gesture, despite the lengthiness, as I'm certain most prize recipients treasured their chance to receive a prize on stage. F1 runners did produce a significant sweep of the prizes - I myself was sandwiched between Lexus and Stuart Haynes for the Men's Closed Category.


Results released the day after the race.

Strava data available here ~ An en-route 10km PB (38:55) despite my less than ideal shape and effort.
If not for what I presume was an easily correctable error - the incorrect race distance - I felt that this was an excellent debut race of The Performance Series. Would I sign up for more? Why not - assuming I'm back in good health.

Till then ~

No comments:

Post a Comment