Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Sunday, August 7, 2016

MR-25 5km Time Trial (August)

It's 100km and counting for the week. I'm treading carefully in the slightly damp trail amidst the multitude of other runners. 

I'm glad for their company. I know the typical runners too well. They'll start fast and fade. Of course, most are still pretty young. We're talking about secondary school. The leaders, all more experienced runners, are probably way ahead now and I'm willing to bet that most have gauged their efforts well.

The morning's 17km run left me pretty fatigued. Just a conservative effort with a few short pick ups focusing on stride frequency. I hope my legs carry me through. I was feeling really flat earlier as I walked over to Macritchie.

I'm catching up with runners all over. Many females at first, which doesn't surprise me. Then come the guys, little by little. However, I'm feeling a little tired and I'm getting a bit concerned about the sustainability of my pace.

I take the left turn on the trail that leads towards Lornie Road, which is just distal to our U-turn point. I see the leaders returning now. It's a little narrow as I speedily manoeuvre the gentle ascent over the rocky surface.

The U-turn feels draining. It's a jogging pace for a moment but I know I must keep up. At least there's the gentle descent now, though I'm ever cautious about the slightly technical terrain. Thereafter is the right turn and another 2-odd kilometres back to the finish.

I know this territory by heart. It's been a route I've frequented for ages as I take casual runs or perform my workouts in the forest. There are 3 main slopes. The first would be gentle. The second is the longer one and the third is the steeper one. Along with them come descents (thankfully).

I am tired. And I'm breathing rather rapidly and audibly (which hasn't quite featured in the past month).

We runners are all strung out now. I don't have many more within catching distance. Notably I passed a Caucasian. Or was it two. I fear that one will catch up again, as he seemed to be running pretty consistently. I see a Malay runner ahead. Though he seems a little too far to reach. 

Garmin beeps. It's nearing now. I know. It's nearing. Negotiate the joggers. The other couple too. Thankful. For the runner ahead. Him passing them. Serves as a warning. Breathing hard. Can't speed up. Low 18s.

Daylight. Reservoir on left. Trail over. Right turn. Stony path. Tiles. Speed. Up.

Acceptable finish. "What number?" "Don't have."

It's a stacked field. I'm happy to have company, so much so that it swallows me
up in this photo.

The leaders from start to finish.

I begin around the middle of the pack (of 70ish).
a
Returning.

Umm a little nearer.

Nice shoes.

Photo credits: Chan Chai Hui


Strava data available here :)

Look at the loaded field! Google them (correct the typos first)!

No comments:

Post a Comment