Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Monday, August 11, 2014

Rest, Resume, Recognise

After 2 approximately 60km weeks and a satisfying 15km race, I decided on the need for a deserving break. 

It is deserving because of the greater volume that I had handled during those 2 weeks, during which I also ran 2 races - Run for Life 2014 and Race Against Cancer 2014. It was needed because I was gradually starting to feel lethargic when I awoke in the mornings, and sleeping much longer durations when I did not set an alarm.

The week-long break consisted of easy running throughout, averaging about 5:15-45/km. I finished off the runs with strides just to loosen the legs. In addition, a session of swimming and some strength workouts were done to give the legs a rest from the running motion.

As of today (11th August), I am resuming the running workouts. Hoping to generally cover a tempo, a fartlek/interval/hill session and a long run weekly, throwing in a session or two of core work and a session of strength training. Of course, due to existing circumstances as a student, these may not always be possible. Furthermore, even if it is, I'll strive to learn to err on the side of caution with regard to overtraining/injury.

That, I did not do today as I did my first tempo on the treadmill. After strength work and easy running yesterday, I concluded with gentle uphill strides. During my 2nd stride, I felt a sudden pain in my right quad. It seemed like a mild strain, caused by the uneven uphill ground. I immediately decided to stop the strides and rest the night.

This morning, I awoke with still a mild remnant of the pain in the right quad. I was considering postponing the workout. While doing my Experiencing God bible study this morning, this verse (Ephesians 3:20) struck me

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..."

I sensed a prompting to run, regardless of my concern, as an act of obedience - acknowledging that going alongside faith, against common logic, is recognised. I prepared, against common logic.

It can be controversial in acknowledging the cause of an outcome when we do what we want, against logic, while feeling that God was leading us that manner. For today, however, I choose to acknowledge that I was blessed with God's protection as I did my 7km tempo in 29:15. It was paced progressively, it felt easy, I felt I could have nailed a sub-41:30 10km under the treadmill conditions (1% gradient). Yet I strongly believed it was a matter of obedience to what I felt God initially led me to do. 

There is much feeling in what I did today. Perhaps the only more objective aspect, though vague in itself, was the verse Ephesians 3:20. There may be a multitude of explanations, but I choose to acknowledge Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment