Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Transcension

Sometimes I wonder whether I've any goals in running. Ryan Hall, a US marathoner, is easily the marathoner I admire the most. At present, he is coached by God - yes God. He studies in a church when he doesn't train. He has had amazing successes - 2:04:58 Boston Marathon and recently qualified for the 2012 USA Olympics team. Perhaps it seems as though the supernatural input gives him the ability to run, and run well(he first started running after a vision).

However, he dropped out of the 2012 London Olympics Marathon around mile 10 due to injury. Yet, I think this makes him all the more admirable, as at present, he's managed to come back from this setback. He has not questioned God. "From [Him] are all things" - God gives and can take away.

Personally, I have experienced the pain of labour without tasting the fruit I selfishly desired. The experiences stem from my hockey season - twice. Last year, prior to my semis, on the training 3 days before, I pulled my hamstring. Who knows if the result would be different if I could play. God took away, but He gave when He gave us bronze through a spectacular golden gold. That moment was joyous. This year, we crashed out. Yet, I don't question. I accept, and learn, cos' I know that every experience is purposed.

I have learnt that the pursuit of material accomplishments, with the satisfaction it provides, is ephemeral. No doubt it'll make me feel good, for awhile, but these facets fade, due to the desire for more. I think initially, one reason I took up running was cos' it seemed like an individual challenge - I didn't need to depend on anyone unlike team sports. However, I see the dangers of this pursuit and I hope that over time I will gradually draw away from the notions of accomplishments and measurable success by human standards. 

When I run, I want to be engaged in the moment, yet disengaged with not just the act of running, but my whole life, such that I'm able to transcend these experiences and see things through Your eyes. Nonetheless, I think measurable goals are brilliant for motivation. If You enable, I want a sub 4 marathon and an improved 2.4k time.
A card to Hall from his family.
On a side note, I visited an ortho today to get my hip checked. Was diagnosed with mild greater(oxymoron-ic) tronchanteric bursitis. Thankfully (and to my surprise), the doctor said I should continue running. Though I'm wondering if it's a conspiracy to get me injured further and return to him for more consultations. Orthos earn lots of money ~ Hopefully some stretching and strengthening will alleviate the pain soon, since the PAssion Wave Run is coming up on the 30th Sept.

No comments:

Post a Comment