Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Sunday, December 7, 2014

Training plans for SCMS 2014

3 Oct 2014. 
Let me review this after SCMS 2014.

Week 1 (5/10/14)
Tuesday - tempo (7.2km in 29:24)
Thursday - long run w 3xsurges (18km in 1:41)

Week 2
Monday - fartlek (5k/10k paces - 12min @ tempo, 6min @ 10k, 3min @ 5k efforts)
Wednesday - progressive tempo (5.8km in 25:00)
Friday - long run w 5xsurges (17km in 1:31)

Week 3 - reduced volume
Monday - tempo/pace work (7km in 29:50)
Thursday - hill intervals (4x1min @ 16km/h, 3% w 2 min off, 3x3min @ 14.5km/h, 4% w 2min off)

Week 4
Monday - tempo/pace work (6.4km in 27:17, 3x400 @10k w 1min rest)
Thursday - intervals (6x800 @ 5k w 1:20 walk, 3x400 @ 3k w 1:20 walk)

Week 5 (2/11/14)
Monday - pace work (2.5km, 1.5km, 800m, 800m - total 7.1km in 28:12)
Thursday - treadmill hills (8x3min @ 14.4km/h, 4% w 2min jog)

Week 6 - reduced volume
Monday - tempo (6km in 25:36, 2x400m @ 10k w 2mins rest)
Wednesday - long run (17km in 1:31 w 4x1min surges @ 10km w 2/3 min off)

Week 7
Monday - pace work (3x2.4km, 2x800m - total 8.8km in 35:04) - felt good aerobically, hamstring a little tight due to gym on Sat
Wednesday - intervals (6x800m @ 3.2k w 1:40 walk, 3x400 @ 3k w 2:00 walk - total 6km in 22:30) - did not push too much, stomach discomfort

Week 8 - increased workload till thursday
Monday - pace work (4km, 3km, 2km, 2x400m - total 9.8km in 39:28) - tough session on wet track
Thursday - intervals (4x1km @ 5k w 2:10 walk)

Week 9 - reduced volume
Monday - pace work (3x1km - total 3km in 12:02)
Wednesday - short intervals (5x600m @ 3k w 1:50 jog - total 3km in 10:55)

Week 10 (7/12/14) Sunday - SCMS 2014 10km - 39:35


Wristband from SCMS 2014 with my race timing engraved.

Here it is, the training (main workouts only) for the past 10 weeks after the Straits Times Run at the Hub 2014, please excuse the disorganised format. I'll try to do a minor analysis of the training in a few days.


9 Dec 2014.
An attempt to analyse my training. A word of caution - this is going to be lengthy and I can't guarantee you'll pick up anything you may not already know.

First of all, the past 10 weeks cannot be viewed by itself, but it has to be considered in context of the 7-9 months of training and my existing fitness levels before this. View this year's training log here.

Mileage
It can be established that from the start of 2014, I had built up my weekly mileage from <20km to about 55-65km at the peak. There was a gradual build up which lacked consistency in the initial stages, but by about April, it was consistently above 30km a week. After a minor disruption in July due to overseas trips or camps, the second, more consistent build up occurred in September, clocking almost >50km every week. What I'd do differently is increase my mileage and maintain consistency. I'd also attempt a 1 week minor taper of mileage every 2-3 weeks. During the base phase, I'd prioritise the duration of runs over the frequency of runs.

Easy runs
I believe easy runs play a fundamental role. Firstly, they instil discipline - getting up for short 2-4km runs at 6+am before class begins requires a degree of commitment. Secondly, they help me enjoy running. Easy runs along various routes let me observe my surroundings and be thankful. Thirdly, they build my aerobic base. Fourthly, particularly towards the later stages of my training (October onwards), they were often at short distances to allow for recovery between workouts. In fact, in November, they were kept at distances often <6km as the volumes of main workouts were often between 10-14km. Last but not least, I believe easy runs served as a form of minor aerobic maintenance.

However, with regard to base, I do not think they qualify to be part of a quality base build up. Based on my existing understanding (though I'd love to be corrected) they should have been of longer duration and higher intensity. Having said that, this would have meant that I have never established a proper "base phase" of my training. What I'd do differently is adjust my base - longer easy runs. However, as I approach the specific phase of training, I'd shorten my easy runs, facilitating recovery between workouts.

Hills, fartlek then intervals
I deem hills to be the runs I perform on the treadmill at a gradient (usually 4%) for 3mins at slightly under 10k pace (but close to 5k effort) with 2mins of jogging in between. I think these have enabled me to strengthen my legs while also working on my VO2 capacity. These were performed throughout my training. What I'd do differently is to avoid performing them at a VO2 max intensity. Instead, where possible, I'd do faster hills for shorter durations while ensuring longer recoveries.

A few fartlek sessions were performed in the September and October. Looking back, they were probably run too fast, making them highly anaerobic. A typical session that I performed may have been 2 sets of 5x1min on/off with the "ons" alternating between tempo, 5k, 3k and 1.5k pace. It certainly left me with aching legs and as to the exact benefit I obtained, I am uncertain. What I'd do differently would be to keep the "ons" at a slower pace, while ensuring the "offs" are run faster.

Intervals, on the other hand, were often performed on the track. These only took place more towards the last 6 weeks prior to Standchart. These were run between 2 mile to 5k pace, with the final interval session 4 days before Standchart run at projected 3k pace. Apart from the final session, reps of 800m-1km were run. It was during these sessions that I experienced the feeling of "air hunger". An immediate benefit I did feel the few days following each session was the relative ease of breathing on easy runs. What I'd do differently would be to ensure I keep my rest intervals sufficient, as for initial runs, I may not have done so, consequently resulting in overreaching.

Long runs
These were performed intermittently. Initially, there was much apprehension about running them because they were rather taxing, requiring nutrition (gels) en route. However, adjusting my running route and running the first half of them at a slightly easier pace (5:20-5:40), I soon could complete 16-18km without nutrition. One thing I did during the second half was include short surges or perform the run close to marathon pace, never failing to negative split these runs. What I'd do differently in future is dependent on the phase of training. During base phase, I'd keep these more aerobic with a slower second half. In addition, I'd look to including a moderate distance run once a week.

Races
I think I experimented with many different methods to find out what would make me feel best on race day. For almost all the races I participated in, I took a 2-3 day taper. This taper period meant just avoidance of running workouts instead of a drop in mileage. A Sunday morning race would mean that either Wednesday or Thursday would be the last workout, after which easy days would ensue and no strength training would be done on Saturday. The last workout performed was often hills (on treadmill), as I perceived that some muscle memory would be retained to allow for quick turnover when tired.

One instance of an over taper for me was probably prior to Sundown 2014. I did a workout on Tuesday while the race was on Saturday night. All in all, I had ran only 23km on race week prior to race day. I did feel rather flat during the race, though I suspect the sub-optimal conditions (for me, it was running at 11pm in dimly lit conditions) contributed to a difficult effort.

I did experiment with 3 light workouts the week of race day (specifically, before the ST Run). The last workout was very light, comprising of just 3x800m at race pace, though this was just 2 days before the run. I did experience soreness before the race started, yet went on to run a sub-41. Unfortunately, with just one attempt at the organisation of this race week, I am uncertain if this lead to soreness or if soreness may have actually been beneficial (though I highly doubt so).

The final and arguably most important taper was for Standchart. Based on multiple sources that I read, I attempted to piece together a taper that was about 10 days long. This time, I factored in the need to cut down volume, with race week accounting for only about 60% of regular weekly mileage. In addition, I kept workout volume reduced but sufficient for stimulation. In the attempt to ensure sufficient muscle recovery, I even avoided downhill running during race week. My obsessiveness did allow me to obtain the result I wanted - a sub-40 10km - though I do not know if adjusting my taper would have yielded other results (for better or for worse?).

What I'd do differently would be to have better planning of my racing schedule. In 2014, I tried to find races about one month apart, allowing for sufficient training before "assessment" during a race. Looking back, I would try to focus less on running these intermittent races fast. No doubt I'll keep the efforts hard, but I'll ensure that I did have goal races to concern myself with. One suggestion I stumbled upon was to rank them as #3, #2 and #1, with the latter being the goal race of the season. #3 races would not require much of a taper and could be treated as training (or fun if run with friends), while #2 could be used as practices for #1, just without completely spending myself.

Strength training
I hit the gym weekly, performing low reps at higher weights (by my standards). The weekly routine would usually include bench presses, squats, deadlifts and other accessory exercises. I'm looking to learn some olympic lifts (snatch) as well. What I'd do differently is to include additional strength training (possibly bodyweight exercises) after my harder runs during the week. In addition, I'll seek out some advice on how I should implement strength training during different phases of training.

Rest, recovery, nutrition
Sleep sleep sleep early and sufficiently. This was done well from August onwards. Foam rolling (we all should get one, according to Soh Rui Yong), stretching, pool and bike cross training. Proper nutrition... These few aspects probably make up about half the battle, yet I'm not going to much of an analysis here besides stating that they are absolutely vital.


No comments:

Post a Comment