Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Monday, March 18, 2013

Discipline

Nothing has guaranteed my contentment more effectively than discipline – be it in thoughts or actions. It is my platform to fulfill my dreams; and though it doesn’t promise success, the outcome always leaves me satisfied.

Hockey training in 2012 was definitely exhausting from all fronts. After tasting success during the National ‘A’ Division Championships in 2011, we were pressured to perform – particularly because 2012 was the graduating year for the entire team. While our coach perfected our strategies and technicalities, I bore the responsibility of organising fitness trainings. In spite of months of preparation, our season ended abruptly. After some reflection, I found contentment, recognising that I had been disciplined with my time, trainings and thoughts. I did however, decide to pursue another sporting field – distance running.

Discipline was imperative to distance running. I was driven to perform well in what I had committed to – even if it meant juggling my relationships and the academic commitments of my final year. Every week, I dedicated four to seven sessions to train. My schedule was simple, but arduous. Weekends were reserved for service in church, family bonding and training; weekdays were focused on friendships, academics and training. The four months of commitment to running, amidst academic preparations, climaxed in the November of 2012, when I sat for my IB examinations while tapering for the Standard Chartered Marathon in December.

I remain proud of my efforts, though humble of my achievements. Both running and academic outcomes surpassed my expectations. I placed 2nd in my division and obtained 45 Points for my IB Diploma. Though I do credit these successes to my ability, it is not physical or intellectual ability I acknowledge, but the ability to remain disciplined in my endeavours. As Jim Rohn accurately identified, “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment