Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Saturday, May 30, 2015

Ulu Pandan Vertical Run 2015

With this inaugural event happening just the week after NVM 2015, I didn't hesitate about signing up. Perhaps the only bothersome aspect was the trouble of having to head down to Ulu Pandan CC to make payment.

Scheduled for 30th May, I was trying to figure out how to negotiate my running schedule while factoring in some rest. However, this was meant to be a fun activity and just an additional race experience, hence despite a workout the day before I wasn't too concerned. My intentions were to run a sub-4 time. As this was a small event, I was expectant of picking up a podium finish as well.

I arrived at the event site (Ghim Moh Link, Block 24A Level 3) about 45 mins flag off. The event site was simple but well arranged. After registration I proceeded to calm my nerves, recce the adjacent block's stairwell and attempt a few flights to get a sense of pace. I expected an anti-clockwise pattern of handrails, though I was later proven wrong.

As we gathered along the corridor, there were barely 40 participants, though I noticed a sizeable number of rather athletic-looking individuals. Some had even donned gloves in preparation for their climb. In addition, I recognised Yaner Lin who placed 2nd in last week's NVM 2015. I figured that for the Men's Open, there were a decent number of dedicated stair racers, while the remainder was formed by people living around Ghim Moh. I was confident in my abilities yet I suspected that a podium finish could be anyone's as long as circumstances were ideal for the individual.

Flag off for the Men's Open was mildly delayed at around 10.20am instead of the scheduled 10.15am. This was a mass flag off in a line according to Bib number (I was fortunate to number 11 - hence this meant having to pass fewer participants), instead of staggered starts. We were to start at level 3 instead of 1, hence climbing to the 40th storey meant only 37 floors. Everyone broke into a pacey start and I was certainly drawn into a quick pace in order to avoid being passed by participants behind me. It wasn't long before overtaking occurred and it certainly was difficult at times in the narrow stairwell. Save for a few extremely considerate individuals, most individuals occupied a big portion of the narrow stairwell and hence required several prompts of "passing" before they gave way (we were instructed to keep left along the wall side if being overtaken).

My pace was undoubtedly quicker than last week's climb. I knew that it was possible that I'd blow up, though the consequences were much less significant in this short race. The only time I caught a glance at my watch was as it read 2:2X, possibly when I was hitting the upper 20s. Overtaking was a constant struggle but eventually I found myself behind the first participant (based on Bib number) and before long, I proceeded to overtake him as he courteously gave way. I recall seeing storey 37 as I gasped for air and spurred myself on for the last few flights, before crossing the finish as my watch hit 3:14. I was elated. However, the body wasn't quite excited as the lungs gasped and the legs burnt.

This was a different type of climb from last week's - a sustained but controlled climb. This climb involved much less control. It was nonetheless paced decently, delivering a pleasant result that was confidently sub-4 - even if the climb was extended to 40 complete storeys. I had desired to experience burning pain in the pace and arguably I did, to an extent. I admit that I certainly felt I had ever endured more while actually sprinting up shorter stairwells. Nonetheless, this was a nice conclusion of my stair racing endeavours over the past week.

Standing beside Yaner (2nd) and Philip (3rd). The no smoking sign features
prominently at the top right hand corner. Credit to Ulu Pandan CSC.

Blessed.

Thankful for Ulu Pandan CSC's efforts.

Update: The complete list of results have been published on Ulu Pandan CSC's Facebook page. Official time was 3:13. It seems that my initial thoughts in assessing the participants were accurate - there were a number of quick finishers here. 10 individuals (myself included) out of the 40 in the Men's Open finished sub-4, granted we climbed 37 not 40 storeys. Amongst the finishers, we've actually had 7 of them as prize recipients across the various categories of the previous week's NVM 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment