Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Saturday, September 10, 2016

SUniG Road Race 2016

And there it goes.

Shivers down my spine, the wind and rain through my skin.

Tension in the final minutes.

Any time now.

We're off.

The tiny first loop.

With smiles for now.

I know my targets.

My pass time.

Passed and running past no man's land.

Left foot.

Right foot... nearly done.

Oh so near.

After the storm. 

Courageous capt.

Alongside.

All in.

Photo credits to Alvin, Kasi, Sarra, Guo Jie, XYZ Photos (Yuan Zhi), NTU Spirit (Jun Cen) ... any others? :)


I have fought this fight and finished this race but so much
more importantly than any earthly race, may I keep the faith. 

The desire to represent NTU was first introduced in 2015, when I was hearing about the Inter-Varsity Polytechnic competition. The goal was to run the 10,000m. After all, if I had loved the sport and had a decent ability, why not use running as a platform to contribute and inspire. A breakthrough in performance came with an approximately sub-39 paced race in September, barely three months prior IVP, though it wasn't 'official' since the race was about 200m short (measured on GPS). Sadly, injury struck thereafter, taking me out for an agonising three months. That meant my goal for that academic year was gone.

The following academic year presented the perfect opportunity. I had a few months of minimally interrupted training and this time, ran a sub-39 en-route a 10.5km (GPS-measured) race. Furthermore, it was a comparably conservative effort in contrast to the first sub-40 race I had run (necessitating a visit to the medical tent). However, I ran that race with the burden of imminent ITBS just preparing to flare. The subsequent two months were an uncertain period before another miraculous resolution, occurring barely two months before SUniG Road Race 2016 - my next opportunity. On one hand, I had the benefit of abundant time during throughout the day as it was a period of... relaxed curriculum. However, two months was a major time restriction. Three or four months - that would have been much more comforting to produce a performance, due to my preferred slow, progressive nature of aerobic training.

I worked within my limitations. I then came to realise qualifying to be part of the six that ran wasn't in any way easy. I barely made it. It was simply a God-given chance, a second chance.

Race-day (11 September 2016) came and I was filled with apprehension yet excitement and hunger. My first race representing NTU. I donned the NTU-top for the first time ever with much pride and gratitude, choosing to attribute this opportunity as God-granted and for the purpose of His glory.

The skies were cloudy and the forecast predicted impending thunderstorms. About 30 mins before flag off, the heavens opened. Ferocious gusts and flashes of lightning illuminated the gloomy surroundings. The sun had vanished.

I hated wet conditions.

In my mind, I had mixed feelings. Getting to West Coast Park was no doubt quite a hassle, hence a postponement would be pretty frustrating. Yet running in sub-optimal conditions (wet, slippery grounds) and with a sub-optimal psyche (wet, slipper grounds and soaked shoes) wasn't too appealing either.

The rain continued for a long time. In fact, it was still drizzling by the time the announcement that the race would proceed came, albeit a 9.20am flag off as opposed to 8.00am. This was it. We were to proceed and I had better get myself ready, perhaps more mentally than physically. A brief warm up left my shoes soaked. I proceeded with some race-pace strides and the final few minutes were spent in prayer. It was time.

Kai Peng had informed me that he did not make the team nor the reserves. That had to mean the competition would be extremely stiff. It would be a narrow battle between NUS and NTU. I knew NUS had the upper hand - as to what extent, I did not know. All I knew was that I needed to be conservative (as I often am) yet aggressive (early enough) in my pursuit of anyone with an orange top. I was realistic that I could well be NTU's 6th runner. Though this meant not clinching any points for the team, I could contribute by giving every other school a run for their points. Every point I could add to their score would count (here's a recap on cross-country scoring).

We arranged ourselves based on expected finish order (except for Yuan Yi and I) - Kien Mau, Andreas, Zorn, Lester, myself and Yuan Yi. I was to start ahead of Yuan Yi as I had the tendency to be conservative while he often started too aggressively. Constant prayers on peace, surrender, joy and favour were uttered in the final few moments before we were flagged-off at 9.20am sharp.

Many, if not all of the fast competitors were experienced, segregating themselves quickly into appropriately-paced packs. I immediately eyed my competition - oranges. The first four were clearly ahead, but the fifth and sixth tops were in the same pack as I was. Bearing that in mind, I proceeded at my intended race pace.

We first covered a small loop spanning approximately 1km, before proceeding for the larger loop that would take us past the underpass and to the Eastern (the map below is not oriented) end of the park. I was surprised that Yuan Yi had yet to pass me; I was concerned that not all was right for him. As for me, I found myself right on the heels of orange-5 and orange-6 as we began the bigger loop. It wasn't long before they, along with some others, were on my heels - and the gap growing. It was then time to look further and identify where orange-4 was.

The small loop

He was a decent distance ahead, perhaps 15 seconds or thereabout. Lester was slightly ahead of him. I was about 2km in, feeling comfortable, but pretty lonely. I hardly ever look back in races - and certainly was not going to for this race. Therefore, I had no idea if anyone was behind to work with. My goal was to do my best to catch orange-4 and give NUS an extra point.

Though I would have wished I could savour every detail, I do not recall being thoroughly engaged. Sure, I was working hard yet the fitness developed over the past two months was manifesting. I was soaked to the skin - shoes, shirt and all. I paid attention to the slippery surfaces. I ran the tangents skilfully. Importantly, I focused on keeping up the intensity even as I ran alone.

As the race continued I realised I the gap was growing. I had no idea who he was but I knew these NUS guys were quick. Regardless of the circumstance, I was determined to run my heart out. “Run till your tongue touched the ground” to quote Coach.

The rest of the race passed in a blur. Getting increasingly uncomfortable by the minute, I saw the girls heading out, cheering them on as we passed. As I was nearing the 5km mark, I heard pounding footsteps behind me. Strange, but I never looked back. I was however extremely alert to the individual - the proximity, the intensity of breathing. They disappeared within seconds, I had no clue whether that was a competitor or any other individual.

As I rounded the final small loop, I knew I had to began my kick early enough in order to run the fastest time - even if I was not going to catch orange-4. After rounding a few curves with a slight ascent, I began the controlled kick. That was easily 350m out. Accelerating progressively as I drove my arms, I experienced increasing agony with every stride. I embraced it, fighting the voices that suggested slowing a little. Was there anyone who would pass me? Didn't I have sufficient a lead as the path behind me seemed silent? The voices fell on deaf ears.

It was over so quickly. At the finish, I grabbed my knees and gasped for the first time in too long. This was it. I had finished what I had intended to start. The intensity of satisfaction overflowed. Praise ensued.

As this race marks the end of SUniG for us, every time I look back I recognise the favour granted to me. I love running; I certainly had acceptable abilities - though not extravagant talent but one which I was willing to work for; I had favourable circumstances. When passion, abilities and destiny come together, they formed a launching pad to propel me into this avenue. I must cherish this opportunity, I must use it for His glory.

My second chance; a day to remember.

1 comment: