Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Saturday, September 17, 2016

Trail Run Championships 2016

This is long awaited (nah, don't think anyone was waiting to be honest), but I've finally decided to get down to pen my race experience.

Priced at $2, this was difficult to resist. Furthermore, location was pretty convenient. However, I didn't forsee just how muddy the terrain would become after the morning's downpour that took place as I raced the SUniG Road Race 2016.

I knew with the body spent in the morning, this would simply be a gentle jog - at least for the majority of the race. Flag off was announced to be at 4pm - though I later found out that different categories would be flagged off at different times. Men's Open - mine - would only commence around 4.30pm.

Having gathered earlier, I looked around, noticing formidable runners across local championships and even a SEA Games runner. A runner approached and introduced himself to be Wei Hsien, one of my teammates for upcoming the Asics City Relay 2016 (our team comprised of runners who had won free slots in a contest).

I chatted with a few others as well like CP, HS etc. It wasn't before long it was time for flag-off. I queued up somewhere mid-pack and we were off. I started very conservatively.

To the extent of being the last. No one else was behind me. I wasn't that slow though! Felt like a 5:45 pace.

As we progressed through the route, it didn't take long to discover the effects of the morning rain. Thunderstorm in fact. The route was somewhat flooded in one area - ankle deep muddy water. 

I gradually caught up with other participants, while still running very comfortably though progressively increasing my pace. 

We then exited at Lornie. The sun was scorching. What a unique challenge of the elements I was experiencing that day. I caught up with HS, cheering him on and asking him to stick with me but he urged me ahead. I tried my best to cheer on runners as I passed.

It wasn't till after the 3km mark where I decided to speed up substantially, while still feeling comfortable. Thereafter came my sprint along the significant descent and ascent to the finish. 

19:15. That wasn't too bad. A recovery race, I guess? (For comparison, the winner was blazing under the blazing sun, finishing in a time of 14:43)

What's the hurry. Be the last runner (not kidding) for a moment.

Perhaps I can speed up a little.

My left foot has a tendency to flail medially.

Photo credits: XYZ Photos

Strava data accessible here!

No comments:

Post a Comment