Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Monday, October 1, 2012

Mizuno PAssion Wave Run 2012

The Wave Run was possibly the race that I had looked forward to most, amongst my previous three, due to how it came timely after my prelims. Naturally, I had initial expectations associated to the run.

The reason why I'd consider them initial is due to the fact that my expectations dissociated. Expectations tend to connote stubborn fixations to attain goals. Instead, I'd say that my expectations had become hopes. Instead of expecting to complete the race sub 1:20, I hoped to glorify God through my race, after much inspiration from a video I watched 2 days before the race, where Ryan Hall recounted his own experience with expectations. 


"If I can praise God with all my body, mind and soul on November 3rd, then I will walk away from the finish line satisfied, no matter what the outcome, and that will be a satisfaction that no one can take away from me." Hall went on to set a course record as he won the 2008 USA Olympic trials.


This drastic difference between my previous expectations and my hopes eventually provided me with thoroughly enjoyable race experience as I felt I had been a blessing, in turn being blessed. Firstly, some race details ~

Reached the venue with Jiajun at around 7, met the rest from church. Jason, Tenn Joe and Gavin arrived at around 725 and Jason hurriedly tried on my old pair of shoes. I then joined the rest from church. Contrary to the stated flag off time of 730, the race seemed to start a few minutes earlier.

The first km was packed, though there was little jostling cos' most runners around me seemed to be treating this as a relaxed jog(bearing in mind I started around the back of the pack). As I gradually picked up my pace, while reminding myself to begin slowly, the crowd began to disperse. As we approached the first traffic junction, I was slightly shocked to discover that there were no road closures for this run. Instead, volunteers and traffic police controlled the traffic. Nonetheless, runners and motorists were sharing the roads. Over the course of the run, I was (un)fortunate to be stopped at (only) 4 junctions, possibly adding 1-2 minutes to my overall run time.

Due to my slow start and having started around the back, I don't think I was overtaken by anyone after I eased into pace. I passed Jiajun at 2km. The race was relatively uneventful as I gradually passed other runners. It was slightly disappointing cos' having started too far behind, I didn't have anyone that I could pace. That was, until around 9km, where I saw another runner that appeared to be around my age. After a few hundred metres of running together, occasionally overtaking each other, I felt our pace was suited to both of us. After a quick "wanna pace?" query, we started running together. 

This move was arguably beneficial to both of us as we picked up the pace slightly. I believe this corresponds with the proverb "When you run alone, you run fast. When you run together, you run far". Around 12km, I caught up with Bryan. He joined me and my new-found companion as we tackled the final 4km. The pace was comfortable, though this was indubitably psychology, not physiology. However, on the physiological side, I felt fatigued yet capable of more. However, I decided to remain with the others. Eventually, I crossed the finish together with Bryan, while our companion arrived seconds after. After the race, I then found out my companion was Delvin, a frequent runner.


Delvin and I slightly before the 12km mark. Credit to Runevent Shots for the photograph.
I think the moment I decided to ask Delvin if he wished to pace, that was the moment that catalysed my enjoyment of the run. I knew after the 8km mark that it would be painful attempting a sub 1:20 completion, due to the absence of road closures(which meant crossing at traffic junctions) and the uphill second-half of the course. I could either pain myself and selfishly attempt to do a sub 1:20, or run with others and encourage them. I've no regrets that I chose the latter and I know that was what God would have wanted.

From what I remember, the race had water points at approximately 2km, 5km, 7km, 10km and 13km. Distance markings were held be volunteers at 2km intervals. I only remember some of my race splits, 2km(11:30), 4km(22:40), 6km(34+), 8km(44+). My nett timing was 1:22:09. That meant a 44/38 split while having fuel left in the tank, lovely:)
Placed 85th, with Bryan(84th) as we finished together.
Schoolmates
Church guys. The fact that I appear shorter is a mere illusion.
Church friends
Regarding the race itself, the Wave Run was a race. I don't have much more to say. Hydration(water/100 plus) was available at varied intervals. Volunteers were definitely helpful as they had to control the traffic while we crossed traffic junctions. However, because of the necessity to cross roads as a "pedestrian", complemented with the estimated 150m ascent/descent, it is certainly not the best race for a PB. On a more positive note, the smaller race size(2-3k) meant better chances with the lucky draws?

I realised some of my posts are insanely long. Yet I think it's important I capture the facts and lessons learnt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment