Running Log

Here's my running log that I'll update weekly. To view details of workouts, please visit this Google Docs page and highlight the workout. Additionally, you may choose to view my Strava profile. Last but not least, I've also started writing some race reviews on JustRunLah!



Sunday, October 7, 2012

Reflection

I think my runs over the previous week are worth blogging about.

Sunday's Mizuno Wave Run was a pleasant experience as I had fun with church/school mates and got to know Delvin, a triathlete from Temasek Poly. Though I did not achieve a timing I hoped, I believed God was pleased.

Relatively uneventful runs on Monday and Wednesday. Wednesday's run started really late because my tuition ended late, hence I could only begin at 645pm or so.

Thursday's long run was pleasant. I selected a lengthy route that took me along marymount road, to amk ave 6, lentor avenue and along yishun ave 1. The 18km return route took me about 1:45 at a comfortable pace, though my legs started hurting towards the last quarter. I was slightly worried about my bursitis, but thank God the pain subsided on Saturday.

And thankfully it did, cos' on Saturday I attended TeamBMW's mobile run 4 with Uncle Kim Kah and Uncle Engelbert. I did 5 3km loops for a total of 15km with the 4-hour pacers. I realised a 4-hour pace is extremely comfortable as conversation is a breeze. However, I know that my legs will tire past 20km and cramps may threaten my run. A friendly 4-hour pacer who had run over 15 marathons/ultramarathons provided me with some advice.

Uncle Berg and I after the run
For anyone who's interested, someone my size(55kg? and pretty tall) who's keen on a 4-hour marathon should take 3-4 gels along the run. If cramps are a common issue, salt(potassium) tablets are recommended. The first few drink stations will be packed, hence bringing a tiny bottle to be disposed off after 5-10km would be beneficial. For people keen on running at a constant pace <5 hours, it is wise to forgo dignity while trying to shamelessly get to the front of the pack lest one gets trapped amidst walkers. It is also absolutely crucial to run an even or negative split for optimal times. Lastly, don't use the baggage deposit service.

I'm pretty happy with this week of running. 1 race, 1 long run, 1 marathon-pace run and 2 easy runs, totaling 61km. This is a drastic jump from the 30 odd km that I did last week, however, it is accounted for by the taper I made for the Mizuno Run. Nonetheless, I think it's wise to avoid such an extreme increase to prevent injury. I hope to address my leg endurance over the next 7 weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to increase mileage and reach peak mileage in the middle of IB(5-22 Nov) without being plagued by anything.

One aspect of running that I love is how it helps me divert my attention from my concerns. I think of late I've learnt a lot about others and myself. This has occasionally evoked displeasure. Yet it's assuring to have an omnipotent and omnipresent God and I hope to dedicate every run to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment